A crown, formerly referred to as a cap, is a molded shell placed over the entire tooth surface to restore its shape, size, strength and /or appearance to its natural state.
Crowns are used:
- To attach a bridge
- When a filling is too large for the tooth to support
- To protect a cracked or broken tooth
- To cover and protect a tooth after a root canal
- For cosmetic enhancement
Porcelain crowns: Today’s porcelain crowns are natural looking in shape and color, leave no black edge at the gum line and can last 20-30 years.
Metal crowns: Crowns made of gold, silver or porcelain over metal, the standard for crowns for many years, are still occasionally used.
My Time Dental Centers strives to make crowns that look and feel like the real thing – a “natural” and bright smile.
All-ceramic crowns look and feel remarkably like natural teeth yet they provide the same, if not more, strength and durability of a standard crown. Ceramic crowns are custom made for each patient with Zirconia or Lithium Disilicate, the same substances used to make synthetic diamonds, and porcelain. The vast array of design options available with ceramic crowns make them the ideal restoration for front teeth.
Having a full set of functional teeth is crucial to your dental and oral health, your speech and appearance and your overall confidence. If you're missing one or more teeth, chewing becomes more difficult, you're more susceptible to gum disease, it can create speech disorders and your other teeth will begin to shift to fill in the gap.
A bridge replaces missing teeth with natural-looking, artificial teeth. The types of bridges are:
- Fixed and removable bridges: A fixed bridge attaches to the adjoining healthy teeth with crowns and the artificial tooth/teeth now span the gap. A removable bridge attaches to adjoining teeth with clasps.
- Implant bridge: This attaches artificial teeth under the gum tissue or directly to the jaw.
My Time Dental Centers can help you determine the best bridge option for your mouth to improve your dental health and restore your happy smile.